Details: Nalilili Cathedral Visit
The historic and remarkable Naililili Catholic Church was built by French Marist priest Father Patrice E. Rougier in the early 1900s. One of its remarkable features is the 25 beautiful stained glass windows with Fijian inscriptions.
We will travel to Nasali landing at the Rewa Delta, board longboats, and travel downriver, passing grassy plains and villages before arriving at the cathedral. Have a look around the cathedral with a guided tour, take pictures, bring a lunch to eat out front on the grassy field, head back on the boats, and back to Suva.
- Date: Saturday, TBD – either 19th March or 2nd April
- Time: Depart Suva at 9 am, return at ~1 pm
- Difficulty: Easy
- Cost: approx. FJD 30 pp, depending on transport costs
- Meeting Place: Holiday Inn, Suva
What to wear and bring
- Wear light comfortable clothes, a hat, and sunglasses; as the tour will take place mostly outdoors.
- Bring a small backpack to carry your things for the day- water, packed lunch, sunscreen, bug spray, money, and camera.
Organizer: Julia Peters
To go on a trip with the Rucksack Club, you must sign up as a member. Most trips have a limit, due to equipment, beds, boats or bus seats, and are on a FIRST COME / FIRST PAY basis. Our monthly meetings provide the first opportunity to sign up for trips. A non-refundable deposit is generally required. At sign up indicate if you are driving or if you will need a lift. Riders should share transport costs with the driver.
Membership fees are $15 for a Single, $20 for a Family and are good for the entire calendar year. The membership fees are always reinvested back into the club for various activities like supporting our presenters at each club meeting, venue hires for club meetings, RC quiz nights, etc. So join today and we’ll see you on a trip or two!
Rucksack Club Policy is that we are each responsible for our own safety. We all sign a waiver when we fill in our membership applications. Be sure to make your own arrangements about life jackets and flotation devices, especially for children, as the boat companies and small boat owners usually do not make adequate provisions.
- Excursions listed here are subject to change or cancellation due to Fiji government restrictions.
- In line with the Ministry of Health guidelines and for everyone’s safety, anyone joining a trip organised by the Rucksack club is required to be free of any possible COVID 19 symptoms such as fever, to be fully vaccinated (please take your vaccination card with you), and to wear a mask when in an enclosed space (car, bus, indoor area).
- The Rucksack Club takes all precautions to keep everyone safe, but cannot guarantee a lack of transmission or spread of COVID. When joining a trip, your safety is your own responsibility, and you agree to waive the Club of any liability for any illness or injury that may result from taking part in a trip.