Waitika Farm Bee Tour Overview
We will leave Suva early Saturday morning, either by private car or by minibus, depending on the number of people and the availability of cars.
The tour is approximately 4 hours long and starts off with an “about the bees” chat. Then we will head out to the hives for a hands-on experience. Next, we will relax with a bit of food and drinks before we learn about the wax. To end we will be given the opportunity to make a little something in the workshop for visitors to take home.
- Date: Saturday, 9th April
- Your allergy status will be checked by paperwork that the farm requires to be filled out before we go.
Depending on how many people are interested – we may do another tour later and will advertise that.
- Difficulty: Easy
- Meeting Place / Time: Holiday Inn, Suva at 7 am – leave at 7:30 am SHARP!
- Located in Wairuku, Rakiraki, the Waitika Farm Fiji produces and supplies pure, raw organic honey, honey butter, beeswax candles, and more. Join us for a tour of the farm and facilities!
- Depending on our timing, we will arrive back in Suva by 7 pm.
Please note: The tour is weather dependent as bad weather means unhappy bees.
What to wear and bring:
- Wear light comfortable clothes, a hat, and sunglasses; as the tour will take place mostly outdoors.
- Bring a small backpack to carry your things for the day- water (at least 1 liter per person for the walks), sunscreen, money, and a camera.
- Farm tour: $80 per person; $30 per under 12 years | (maximum tour limit of 5 people – first-come basis with deposit required to confirm attendance)
- **In case minibus is needed and on the basis of 6 people – approx. $30 extra**
Organizer: Julia Peters
To go on a trip with the Rucksack Club, you must sign up as a member. Most trips have a limit, due to equipment, beds, boats or bus seats, and are on a FIRST COME / FIRST PAY basis. Our monthly meetings provide the first opportunity to sign up for trips. A non-refundable deposit is generally required. At sign up indicate if you are driving or if you will need a lift. Riders should share transport costs with the driver.
Membership fees are $15 for a Single, $20 for a Family and are good for the entire calendar year. The membership fees are always reinvested back into the club for various activities like supporting our presenters at each club meeting, venue hires for club meetings, RC quiz nights, etc. So join today and we’ll see you on a trip or two!
Rucksack Club Policy is that we are each responsible for our own safety. We all sign a waiver when we fill in our membership applications. Be sure to make your own arrangements about life jackets and flotation devices, especially for children, as the boat companies and small boat owners usually do not make adequate provisions.
- Excursions listed here are subject to change or cancellation due to Fiji government restrictions.
- In line with the Ministry of Health guidelines and for everyone’s safety, anyone joining a trip organised by the Rucksack club is required to be free of any possible COVID 19 symptoms such as fever, to be fully vaccinated (please take your vaccination card with you), and to wear a mask when in an enclosed space (car, bus, indoor area).
- The Rucksack Club takes all precautions to keep everyone safe, but cannot guarantee a lack of transmission or spread of COVID. When joining a trip, your safety is your own responsibility, and you agree to waive the Club of any liability for any illness or injury that may result from taking part in a trip.