Determine the Best Time to Visit
The answer is quite simple: ANYTIME. Fiji boasts warm air and water temperatures year-round, coupled with world-class hospitality and friendly Fijian staff. It truly stands as a destination for all seasons, ensuring a delightful experience regardless of when you choose to explore this tropical paradise.
IN DEPTH SUPPORTING ARTICLE: You might be interested in reading our article, Best Time to Visit Fiji: Weather and Seasons, in which we go into depth on the different Fijian seasons and monthly temperatures.
Check Visa Requirements
Please check whether you require a visa to enter Fiji, as many visitors from Western countries are exempt for stays up to a specified duration.
IN DEPTH SUPPORTING ARTICLE: For a comprehensive list of exempt countries and details on various visa applications, including relevant links to governmental bodies, refer to our article, “Do you need a Visa to come to Fiji?“
Find & Book Flights to Fiji
Travelling to a destination was once considered a mere task to endure, a monotonous part of the journey to reach your chosen location. However, in today’s world, with careful planning and wise choices, the journey itself can become a memorable chapter in your travel experiences. Opting to fly with Fiji Airways transforms the airborne segment into a luxurious affair. Slip off your shoes, don your flight slippers, and recline, allowing the flight stewards to pamper you with world-class hospitality.
Search for flights to Fiji and make your bookings well in advance to secure the best deals. Nadi International Airport on Viti Levu serves as the primary international gateway, so plan accordingly to ensure a smooth journey.
Airliners that operate flights to Fiji:
- Air New Zealand – New Zealand National Airline
- Air Nuigini – Papua New Guinea National Airline
- Air Vanuatu – Vanuatu National Airline
- Aircalin – New Caledonia National Airline
- Fiji Airways – Fiji National Airline
- Jet Star – Australian low-cost airline
- Qantas – Australia’s Global Airline
- Virgin Airways – Australia’s Global Airline
FURTHER READING: Learn more about the rich history of Fiji Airways in the articles below:
- Fiji Airways | World Class Multi Award Winning Airline
- Modernisation Of Nadi International Airport
- Nadi International Airport | The Pride Of Fiji
- Fiji Airways | National Carrier | Latest News | 2023
Choosing your destination of choice first, and then your type of accommodation, based on your preferences and budget. Fiji offers a range of options from luxury five star internationally awarded resorts to budget friendly guesthouses. Here are some of the main tourist areas in Fiji and what they are typically known for:
Nadi: Bustling Multi Cultural Town
- Types of Accommodations: Nadi offers a mix of luxury resorts and budget-friendly hotels. Denarau Island is known for upscale options.
- Known for: is the gateway to Fiji for many travelers as it hosts the Nadi International Airport. It is known for its vibrant markets, cultural experiences, and the famous Garden of the Sleeping Giant. The nearby Denarau Island is a hub for luxury resorts and golf courses.
Suva: Cosmopolitan Capital of Fiji
- Types of Accommodations: Suva provides a variety of hotels and guesthouses catering to different budgets.
- Known for: The capital city, is a bustling urban center with a mix of colonial and modern architecture. It offers a taste of Fijian urban life, museums, and the lively Municipal Market. Suva is also a gateway to the Colo-i-Suva Forest Park for nature lovers.
Coral Coast: Tradition, Culture & Nature
- Types of Accommodations: Luxury resorts line the Coral Coast, with options for beachfront villas and budget-friendly hotels.
- Known for: This stretch of coastline is renowned for its stunning coral reefs, beautiful beaches, and luxury resorts. The Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park and the Kula Eco Park are popular attractions. The Coral Coast provides a perfect blend of relaxation and adventure.
Denarau Island: Main Tourism Hub
- Types of Accommodations: Denarau features high-end resorts and family-friendly accommodations.
- Known for: Denarau Island is a man-made island near Nadi known for its upscale resorts, golf courses, and shopping centers. Port Denarau is a hub for cruise departures and offers a range of dining and entertainment options.
Mamanuca Islands: White Sand Island and Surf Breaks
- Types of Accommodations: Resorts on Mamanuca offer overwater bungalows, beachfront villas, and budget-friendly options.
- Known for: This group of islands is famous for its pristine white-sand beaches, crystal-clear waters, and excellent snorkeling and diving spots. Popular islands in the Mamanucas include Malolo, Mana, and Castaway.
Yasawa Islands: Desert Island Paradise Dreams
- Types of Accommodations: Yasawa accommodates boutique resorts, eco-friendly lodges, and traditional Fijian-style bures.
- Known for: The Yasawa Islands are known for their stunning landscapes, remote villages, and vibrant coral reefs. The Blue Lagoon and the Sawa-i-Lau Caves are major attractions. These islands offer a more secluded and authentic Fijian experience.
Vanua Levu: Traditional Villages & Diving
- Types of Accommodations: Vanua Levu provides luxury resorts, intimate boutique hotels, and eco-friendly lodges.
- Known for: Fiji’s second-largest island, Vanua Levu, is known for its lush landscapes, waterfalls, and vibrant coral reefs. The town of Savusavu is a popular destination with hot springs and a relaxed atmosphere.
Taveuni: Jungle, Waterfalls and Hiking
- Types of Accommodations: Taveuni offers eco-resorts, beachfront villas, and budget-friendly options.
- Known for: the “Garden Island,” Taveuni is famous for its lush tropical rainforests, waterfalls, and the Bouma National Heritage Park. The Rainbow Reef, a renowned dive site, attracts underwater enthusiasts.
Kadavu: Off the Beaten Track Adventures
- Types of Accommodations: Kadavu caters to eco-resorts and guesthouses for a secluded experience.
- Known for: Kadavu is an off-the-beaten-path destination known for its untouched coral reefs, diverse marine life, and traditional Fijian villages. It offers a tranquil and authentic South Pacific experience.
Suncoast: Endless Summer & Hiking Highlands
- Types of Accommodations: A few boutique hotels/resorts and eco friendly lodges
- Known for: It is known for its dramatic peak, rolling hills, rushing waterfalls, traditional villages, colonial market towns, white sand beaches, scattered islands, turquoise seas, azure skies, and endless summer.
Pacific Harbour & Beqa: Adventure Capital of Fiji
- Types of Accommodations: Luxury resorts, beachfront villas, and budget-friendly hotel options
- Known for: Pacific Harbour is a unique and distinct destination for adrenaline junkies that is fringed by the coral coast and touches the historic capital. Beqa is known worldwide for the brilliance and abundance of its soft coral and the diverse fish found in its unspoiled environment.
While Fiji has enhanced its medical facilities, including private hospitals with more experienced staff over the last decade, the level of healthcare does not match that of well-developed nations like Australia or New Zealand. We cannot emphasise enough that travel insurance is not an option; it is the most important purchase, as without your health, even if you are in the most beautiful place in the world, your experiences will be affected.
IN DEPTH SUPPORTING ARTICLE: For detailed information on travel insurance, please refer to the first few paragraphs in the article Fiji Packing Guide: What to pack for your Fiji adventure
Vaccinations and Health Precautions
Visitor Advisory 1: While there are no specific vaccines required for entry into Fiji, If you are arriving from a country with a risk of yellow fever, the yellow fever vaccination is mandatory. It is crucial to receive this vaccine at least 10 days before your travel.
Visitor Advisory 2: Additionally, we recommend the following vaccinations for all travelers, regardless of their country of origin: Typhoid Vaccine – Hepatitis A Vaccine and Hepatitis B Vaccine
Visitor Advisory 3: Ensure the protection of your child and family when traveling to Fiji by taking the following 5 steps:
- Obtain the necessary vaccinations for all the countries you and your family plan to visit during your trip.
- Ensure that you and your family are up-to-date on all routine vaccines (Measles Mumps Rubella (MMR) Vaccine – Tetanus – Diphtheria and Pertussis (TDAP) Vaccine – Polio Vaccine and Meningitis Vaccine)
- Stay informed about travel notices and alerts, understanding how they may impact your family’s travel plans.
- Schedule vaccinations at least a month before your travel date. It’s crucial to see your doctor well in advance of your trip.
- Building immunity takes time, so plan accordingly. You may require several weeks to complete all the necessary vaccine doses.
Prepare for your Fiji getaway; whether you’re headed to the pristine beaches or exploring Fijian villages, we’ve got you covered. From swimwear and comfortable clothing for excursions to cultural considerations for village visits, we provide valuable insights on what to pack. Dive into adventure with proper snorkelling gear, and embrace the vibrant spirit of Fiji by incorporating bright colours and floral patterns into your wardrobe.
IN DEPTH SUPPORTING ARTICLE: Whether you’re relaxing at the resorts or engaging in outdoor activities, our comprehensive guide, titled Fiji Packing Guide: What to Pack for Your Fiji Adventure, ensures you’re well-equipped for a memorable and comfortable Fiji experience.
Currency and Money Matters
In Fiji, it is prudent to carry two or three hundred dollars in your wallet at all times, with a variety of denominations. This is particularly essential when exploring areas away from the main tourist hubs, where the availability of cash machines or banks may be limited. Carrying cash provides a sense of security, ensuring that you can safely cover expenses for accommodation, food, and necessary transportation to the nearest town if required. Additionally, it’s advisable to avoid having coins, as they can make your wallet bulky and be inconvenient during your travels.
- The official currency in Fiji is the Fijian Dollar: It is the primary unit of currency, with banknotes available in denominations of $5, $10, $20, $50, and $100. Additionally, there are coins in values of 5c, 10c, 20c, 50c, $1, and $2.
- Bank Cards: Before your trip, it is important to inform your bank about your travel details to avoid any security alerts for charges and withdrawals during your vacation.
IN DEPTH SUPPORTING ARTICLES:
Local Customs and Etiquette
Prepare yourself for a genuine immersion into Fijian customs and etiquette, acknowledging the renowned friendliness of the Fijian people and the importance of respecting their culture. If your exploration of Fiji extends beyond the resorts into day excursions or backpacking around the islands, it becomes essential to familiarise yourself with a few local customs. Among these, understanding the proper way to approach a village and grasping Kava etiquette are paramount. Observing these practices appropriately will undoubtedly enhance your experience and garner respect amongst the local community.
Engaging with a new culture can be both exhilarating and, at times, challenging. Embrace the opportunity by slowing down, cultivating curiosity, and actively listening without judgment. When in doubt about potential cultural sensitivities, err on the side of caution. A warm and apologetic smile can often bridge any gaps.
IN DEPTH SUPPORTING ARTICLE: Whether you’re relaxing We have written an article titled Fiji Village and Kava Etiquette that will start this journey.
Upon arrival to Fiji, the journey continues its enchanting narrative with countless options, from a seaplane or helicopter transfer to your idyllic Fijian island. Breathtaking panoramas unfold beneath you, turning the transfer into a scenic prelude to the serene paradise that awaits. For those seeking an exhilarating journey, a high-speed waterborne transfer between islands adds a dash of excitement. Navigating the ground transportation landscape on the two main islands of Viti Levu and Vanua Levu is a seamless blend of air-conditioned coaches, open-air buses, and taxis. This mix ensures that your exploration of Fiji’s tropical paradise is safe, reliable, and very convenient.
Activities and Excursions
Visitor Advisory 4: Given the extensive array of activities and excursions available in Fiji, it’s wise to pre-book two or three activities that match your preferences before arriving. Popular activities frequently have limited availability, and if they appeal to you, they likely do to others as well. Designating these as milestone activities secures your spot while leaving space for spontaneous experiences during your stay.
Learn Basic Phrases
In Fiji, English is widely spoken, serving as the primary language of communication. However, taking the initiative to familiarize yourself with a few fundamental Fijian phrases can go a long way in elevating your overall experience and expressing genuine appreciation for the local culture. Engaging with the local language not only facilitates smoother interactions but also fosters a deeper connection with the warm and welcoming Fijian people. From simple greetings to expressing gratitude, incorporating these phrases into your conversations adds a personal touch, creating memorable moments during your Fiji getaway.
FURTHER READING: Remaining well-informed about travel advisories and updates is highly recommended both before and during your trip to Fiji. Prior to departure, regularly check for any official notifications or travel advisories issued by the relevant authorities listed below:
- TourismFiji: This website is the Fijian government’s tourism marketing arm and is responsible for promoting Fiji as a visitor destination around the world. Website
- Ministry of Health and Medical Services: Monitor their Website and Facebook page for any Medical and health related information and updates.
- Fiji Airways: Travel Alerts
- Fiji Meteorological Service: Current Weather Warning
Enjoy Your Trip
Once everything is planned, simply relax and enjoy your time in Fiji. Immerse yourself in the culture, explore the beautiful landscapes, and make the most of your tropical getaway.