22 Magical Reasons to ‘Say I Do’ in the Fiji Islands
- PRESSURE FREE – Fiji provides an idyllic escape from the pressure of organising the wedding at home. Most resorts have a series of wedding packages from which to choose.
- HAVE AN ENTIRE RESORT TO YOURSELF – In Fiji wedding parties are often able to take over whole resorts allowing total privacy.
- CENTRAL LOCATION – Centrally located and providing easy access for friends and relatives Fiji provides a neutral zone for all those coming from around the world. Many families have extended families and what is a better place to have a reunion than the beautiful shores of Fiji?
- ACCESSIBILITY – Given Fiji’s popularity as a holiday destination many reasonable travel packages are available throughout the world.
- FREQUENCIES OF FLIGHTS – There are frequent flights to and from Fiji with Fiji Airways.
- GROUP TRAVEL DISCOUNT – Wedding parties will frequently qualify for group travel discounts. Your guests will be able to enjoy a holiday at a much better rate than they could buy on their own as this provides a fantastic excuse for your guests to indulge in a holiday break.
- HASSLE FREE DOCUMENTATION – Any official documents you need is exactly the same as getting married in any part of the world. With your marriage licence able to be processed in one-day travel plans can easily be arranged.
- A CHOICE OF BEAUTIFUL LOCATIONS – Without a doubt, the azure oceans and pristine beaches are the major attraction to plan your wedding around. Yet sparking waterfalls, tropical forests, or even a resort provide a number of settings, each one as magnificent as the last. A mix of colonial and modern architecture provides wedding and reception options.
- THE CULTURE – With its beautiful traditions of song and dance, Fijian culture can be a beautiful part of your ceremony from the marvel of fire walking to the beautiful voices of the people around you.
- NO TRAVEL WORRIES – The stunning setting comes without travel worries. No dangerous animals or insects and free from diseases such as malaria, the beautiful scenery with its swaying palms add to the romance of your visit.
- FANTASTIC FOOD – Don’t forget the wonderful food! Local specialties combined with a mix of international flavours provide first-class cuisine. Once again your choice from formal dinners to casual dining or even a picnic by the beach.
- FANTASTIC PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES – With heavenly sunsets and scenery out of a movie Fiji provides an amazing backdrop for wedding photos.
- THE WEATHER – Enjoy an ideal South Sea environment and have your wedding under sparking skies. Some areas of Fiji can go for six months without a drop of rain.
- A RANGE OF ACTIVITIES – If lying in the sun all day doesn’t appeal, a whole range of activities are available, particularly in the water.
- ARRIVE IN TRADITIONAL FIJIAN STYLE – Have a group of Fijian warriors carry you above their heads in the traditional Fijian way on a platform to the ceremony..
- A CHOICE OF ACCOMMODATION – A range of accommodation choices to suit everyone’s budget from fabulous first-class resorts to more family or budget-orientated accommodation.
- LOW COST – The biggest surprise is cosT many Fijian wedding packages are cheaper, with optional extras to suit your budget. Couples can choose to have everything from a simple ceremony to a complete island feast.
- THE FRIENDLY PEOPLE – With genuine friendliness the hospitality of the Fijian people is renowned. Their warm welcome adds something special as weddings are celebrated with great joy.
- EVERYTHING ORGANISED FOR YOU – Resorts will happily organise all details including arranging all legal requirements and all the resorts in this guide have a wedding coordinator – you just relax.
- A CHOICE OF CEREMONIES – With the option of integrating traditional ceremonies for something unique the many cultural influences that make up Fiji allows ceremonies to be blended for your choice of ceremony.
- NOT HAVING TO TRAVEL FOR YOUR HONEYMOON – what better way to start your honeymoon than simply walking up the beach?
- A CHOICE OF ISLANDS – With over 330 different islands you can choose how remote or busy you want your wedding location to be.
Getting to Fiji for a wedding
There is only one airline you should consider when planning on getting to Fiji for the Big Day, the World Class Multi Award Winning Airline, ‘Fiji Airways’. Since its formation and debut flight in 1951, the airline has grown into Fiji’s proud flag carrier. From flying De Havilland Dragon Rapide in those days to the new Airbus 330-200 jets of today, the airline has truly come of age.’, combined with the dedicated internationally acclaimed ambassadors of the air, the Fijian Air Stewards will provide a first-class service, embedded with the core values of the Fijian people ‘pride, happiness, and family’.
Interesting Fact – Five couples exchanged vows on August 7, 2013, at 41,000 feet above sea level (the minimum altitude required to set this new world record was 40,000 feet) aboard a brand new Fiji Airways A330, setting the new world record for the Highest Altitude Wedding, according to the Guinness Book of Records – Video.
Plan your wedding in Fiji | 6 – 12 Months
1 | Decide upon the NUMBER OF GUESTS and PRELIMINARY BUDGET for the Wedding – The size of your guest list will depend on several factors, from your budget, the venue’s ability to cater, and the type of energy and vibe you both wish to create, from a small intimate ceremony to a larger all-inclusive celebration. Preliminary Budget – To help you get started, we have created a table detailing 12 major budget categories with allocated percentages, from the venue to the videographer, from the wedding rings to the cake slicing, and everything in between. This is simply a guideline based on prior couples’ experiences, each wedding is uniquely different, so please bare this in mind when formulating your preliminary budget.
- How Many People to Invite to a Wedding – ZOLA
- How to Decide How Many Guests Each Family Can Invite to the Wedding – MARTHA STEWART
- The Complete Guide to Making Your Wedding Guest List – BRIDES
|Ceromony and Venue||18%||Flowers||6%||Hair and makeup||2%|
|Wedding Planner||10%||DJ||5%||Wedding Rings||2%|
2 | Decide upon your CHOSEN HOTEL/RESORT and CHECK THE AVAILABILITY of the venue – While each and every wedding-related decision plays a part in crafting your big day, One of the biggest pieces of the puzzle is the venue you choose for the ceremony, this dictates the tone and style of the wedding, the size, and the capacity, to name a few. We have put together a table below of all the established wedding venues across Fiji with the respective destinations, enabling you to filter and whittle down the venues until you choose the perfect location.
- 12 Things to Consider Before Choosing a Wedding Venue – MARTHA STEWART
3 | START DISCUSSIONS with YOUR WEDDING COORDINATOR – Start your initial conversations with your chosen venue, and its wedding coordinator, these highly skilled passionate teams will guide you through the process, detailing the different steps and options available, through this process they will meticulously manage every detail to ensure that your big day runs smoothly.
- 55 Questions to Ask Your Destination Wedding Resort – MODERN WEDDINGS
4 | Contact the people you would like as your BEST MAN, GROOMSMEN, BRIDAL ATTENDANTS, etc – Being the best man is one of the most honorable and important duties given to an individual during the wedding process. Being the groom’s right-hand man and go-to guy for all, they are typically in charge of the bachelor party and serve as a contact for everyone on the groom’s side, with the charisma and confidence to provide an epic best man speech at the reception.
- What are the best man Duties – BRIDES
- The Best Man Duties Checklist You Need to Ace the Job – WEDDING WIRE
5 | Draw up a PROVISIONAL GUEST LIST – This is one of the tasks that no one really enjoys and may take several attempts and edits, In the first round of names written down, you will find that you include everyone, from ex-coworkers to distant friends and their partners to families and their children. To help avoid offense or awkward conversations fix a set of guidelines that all the guests must fall within. We have added a few links here to help you with this task. Start as early as possible as the chosen venue will need the final number so they can continue planning for the big day
- How to Create a Wedding Guest List: A Step-by-Step Guide – WEDDING WIRE
- How to Make a Wedding Guest List That Everyone Feels Good About – MARTHA STEWART
6 | Decide upon your chosen PHOTOGRAPHER / VIDEOGRAPHER – This is become an essential part of everybody’s wedding day, capturing your special moments through images and videos you can relive throughout your life and share with your family. We have included several established independent photographers and videographers in the table below, with links to their respective websites to help you choose someone who has your style and personality. Please prioritize this as professional highly requested artists are booked up very quickly.
- 8 Tips for Choosing a Wedding Photographer and Videographer – BELLACOLLINA
- How to Get The Best Wedding Video Ever – THE KNOT
|Fiji Wedding Photographers||Fiji Wedding Videographers|
|1||Nadi Bay Photography||Cheer Wedding Photography|
|2||Ocean Studio Fiji Videography||Nadi Bay Photography|
|3||Videoticz Fiji Wedding||New Light Photography|
|4||Zoom Fiji||Ocean Studio Fiji Photography|
7 | BEGIN THE SEARCH FOR THE WEDDING GOWN. If you decide to have one made, choose the designer or dressmaker – One of the most enjoyable aspects is choosing your wedding dress, grabbing your friends and family, and making it a separate memorable occasion.
- How to Choose Your Dream Wedding Dress: 70 Things to Know – BRIDES
- 10 Tips for Choosing Your Wedding Dress – MARTHA STEWART
- Wedding Dresses & Accessories – Bula Bula
8 | Decide on the type of flowers and CHOOSE A FLORIST – Fiji offers brides a broad selection of flowers to choose from, such as Gingers, Heliconias, Dendrobium Orchids, Anthurium, Frangipani, Bougainvillea, Hibiscus. Choosing native flowers ensures they can endure the warm, tropical climate and will last the duration of your big day.
- Fiji wedding flowers – vivid, fragrant, beautiful – FIJI BRIDE
9 | Choose whether you wish to have YOUR HONEYMOON AT A DIFFERENT HOTEL/RESORT OR ON A CRUISE – The following table details excellent venues, with specially designed honeymoon packages to give a chance for newlyweds to decompress after their lavish wedding, a special time to relax, soak up the freshly-married bliss, and look forward to their life together.
3 – 6 Months
1 | By now the WEDDING GOWN SHOULD BE ORGANISED & PURCHASED, the STYLE OF THE GROOM’S SUIT CHOSEN and the SUIT ITSELF BOOKED & PURCHASED.
2 | FINALISE YOUR GUEST LIST
3 | Decide on ACCESSORIES FOR THE WEDDING PARTY
4 | Choose/order INVITATIONS, WRITE, AND SEND them – When you follow a few simple rules when writing your invitations, it becomes a personal and pleasurable experience, enabling your true feelings and emotions to be communicated through the design and wording.
- A Complete Guide to Wedding Invitation Wording – BRIDES
- How to Address Your Wedding Invitations – BRIDES
5 | Choose a CAKEMAKER for your WEDDING CAKE – Finally, the wedding cake, choosing and tasting the endless options available. Follow the link below to get some useful information to guide you in this tastebud extravaganza.
1 – 2 Months
1 | Have a TRIAL HAIR AND MAKE-UP SESSION AT HOME before you leave for Fiji or liaise with your resort.
2 | CHECK THE RSVPS FROM GUESTS and keep a list of the numbers attending. AS SOON AS THIS NUMBER IS FINALISED, GIVE IT TO YOUR VENUE.
3 | MAKE SURE YOU HAVE VALID PASSPORTS – if not, obtain them.
4 | ARRANGE RECEPTION SEATING PLAN and PLACE CARDS.
1 | Visit the florist, if appropriate, to HAVE THE DETAILING OF THE FLOWERS FINALIZED.
2 | RECONFIRM ALL ARRANGEMENTS, e.g. honeymoon, photographer, car hire, etc.
3 | WEAR YOUR WEDDING SHOES (both bride and groom)
4 | CONFIRM WITH ATTENDANTS, THE BEST MAN, AND THE MOTHER OF THE BRIDE (or friends, etc.) THINGS THAT NEED DOING AFTER THE WEDDING (e.g. returning hired clothing, taking care of the bride’s gown, removing and storing wedding gifts, etc.) and deciding who is doing what.
1 | DON’T PANIC!
2 | TRAVEL TO FIJI AT LEAST 48 HOURS BEFORE THE WEDDING DAY and OBTAIN YOUR WEDDING LICENCE
3 | ARRANGE FOR ANY HIRE ITEMS TO BE COLLECTED
4 | FINAL CHECKS ON ALL ARRANGEMENTS
5 | Have a FACIAL/MASSAGE/MANICURE/PEDICURE!
6 | If you’re having a HEN OR STAG NIGHT, Relax and Enjoy with your friends
7 | With the preparation over, you can RELAX AND count on having A WONDERFUL WEDDING IN FIJI.!
Legally you must obtain a marriage license before you ‘tie the knot’ in Fiji, your in-house wedding coordinator will help you through this very simple process. We have listed below the documents you will have to bring with you from home to the Fiji Wedding Register in Fiji, a few days prior to the big day. Please make sure that all the documents have the appropriate signatures and certified stamps of authentication from the different departments. Both spouses must be physically present to obtain their special licenses.
To legally marry in Fiji, you need to:
- Be single, widowed, or divorced.
- Not be related (bloodline relationship).
- Be 18 years of age or over.
Required documents for foreigners or local parties who reside in foreign countries.
- Valid Passports of both parties
- Divorce Papers (if the other party is divorced)
- Death Certificate (if either party’s spouse is deceased)
- Birth Certificate of both parties
- Two witnesses & their valid photo identification
- Certificate of Single Status/Certificate of Search (or) Certificate of no legal impediment is required to be produced by the following marriage applicant:
- Marriage applicants where one party is a local while the other is a foreigner
- Marriage applicants who were former citizens of Fiji attaining citizenship abroad for two years and above
- Marriage applicants who are foreigners
- Statutory Declaration: for former citizens of Fiji & citizens of Fiji on work visa living abroad for less than two years
- Marriage applicants from Japan must produce the Koseki – Shouhon, to certify their personal details.
FURTHER RESEARCH – MUST READ
Bula Bride – A Fiji Destination Wedding website designed to assist you to plan your dream wedding, elopement, or honeymoon in Fiji. Connect with Fiji’s best wedding suppliers via our Wedding Directory or take the time to browse through recent Real Weddings for Fiji wedding inspiration. We realise planning a destination wedding can be challenging. We are here to make planning your Fiji wedding just that little bit easier, so if you need personal assistance, we would love you to get in touch.
Fiji Weddings – With almost two decades of event management experience and hundreds of destination weddings pulled off without a hitch, Kim is Fiji’s #1 wedding planner.